Popular and controversial Zimbabwe Ex-president Robert Mugabe has died, aged 95.
Mugabe died after battling ill health. He had been in hospital in Singapore since April.
In November 2017, Robert Mugabe who became the Prime Minister during Zimbabwe’s first election after independence in 1980 was ousted in a military coup, ending three decades in power.
Robert Mugabe – key dates
- 1924: Born
- 1964: Imprisoned by Rhodesian government
- 1980: Wins first post-independence elections
- 1996: Marries Grace Marufu after death of first wife, a Ghanaian
- 2000: Loses referendum, pro-Mugabe militias invade white-owned farms and attack opposition supporters
- 2008: Comes second in first round of elections to Tsvangirai who pulls out of run-off amid nationwide attacks on his supporters
- 2009: Amid economic collapse, swears in Tsvangirai as prime minister, who served in uneasy government of national unity for four years
- 2017: Sacks long-time ally Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa, allegedly in favour of his wife wife Grace, as successor
- November 2017: Army intervenes and forces him to step down